OUR SOCIAL IMPACT
We believe our business is only as healthy as our guests, as successful as our associates, and as strong as our communities. We focus on nurturing wellness, stimulating development, and driving positive local and global change.
OVERVIEW OF SOCIAL IMPACT
HAVING A LOCAL & GLOBAL IMPACT
One of our core values is “Hearts that Serve.” This means that our care and service of people does not apply only to guests and associates, but also to our stewardship of local and global communities.
OUR LOCAL IMPACT
Our hotels are deeply rooted in the communities in which they operate. Stronger, more vibrant communities in turn are able to help our hotels thrive. We support our local communities through two lenses: economic development and revitalization, as well as philanthropy.
We support our associates by encouraging them to actively serve their communities and providing them with the autonomy to support the projects, organizations, or causes they care about. With each property participating in or holding at least three philanthropic events a year, we are proud to see our hotels being positive forces in their communities. In 2019, our hotels and corporate offices held and participated in 239 events. Below are a few examples highlighting their efforts.
Capitol Hill Hotel associates participated in a workday at the Marion Street Intergenerational Garden
Associates at the Capitol Hill Hotel participated in a workday at City Blossoms’ Marion Street Intergenerational Garden, helping to weed, prune, clean, and maintain this urban garden for neighbors and local DC residents to use for youth programming.
Our Sunnyvale Hotels volunteered at Second Harvest Food Bank
Our Courtyard and TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale teams volunteered at Second Harvest Food Bank to sort 15,000 lbs of food and box 25,500 bags of fresh produce that was then transported to people in need in rural communities without access to a food bank.
The Cadillac Hotel & Beach Club associates volunteered at the Miami Rescue Mission
Associates at The Cadillac Hotel & Beach Club helped the Miami Rescue Mission serve lunch to their community’s homeless, prepare sandwiches in the evening, and donate to the kitchen pantry – all to support the Miami Rescue Missions’ programs to provide emergency shelter, residential programs, training, and projects for at-risk youth.
GET TO KNOW THE TEAM:
General Manager at The Ambrose Hotel, Santa Monica, CA
Erik is passionate about sustainability and strives to leave behind a world better than he found it… READ MORE >
OUR GLOBAL IMPACT
In our hotels, we provide guests with access to clean water and superior cleanliness. However, we believe it is important to be a positive force, not just locally, but also for global communities in which we do not directly operate.
Providing Access to Clean Water
- Why? We believe access to clean, accessible, safe, sufficient, and affordable water is a fundamental human right. It is unacceptable that one in ten people globally lack access to safe drinking water.
- How? We developed EarthView Water, a privately labeled water bottle made from 100% recycled materials. For each bottle purchased, we donate $1 to help bring clean, drinkable water to those in need.
- Update: In 2019, we successfully funded a Hersha Well in Tanzania. This well, to be built by Waterboys.org, will be able to bring life-sustaining water to 8,000 people.
- About Waterboys.org: Waterboys is an initiative founded by Chris Long that brings clean, accessible drinking water to rural communities in East Africa. Local crews in East Africa are hired to drill deep borehole wells for communities where there is unsafe drinking water or community members need to walk miles each day to retrieve water.
We have achieved our target to provide accessible, clean water to 25,000 individuals in need! We are in the process of developing a new goal for our future impact.
Providing Improved Sanitation
- Why? While hotels dispose of a staggering amount of single-use soaps every day, two out of the top five leading causes of deaths around the world, particularly among children, could have been avoided by improved hygiene.
- How? We partner with Clean the World to give our soaps a second life. Our hotel associates collect and send partially used soaps to Clean the World. Clean the World then sanitizes these items, repackages them, and then distributes new bars of soap to communities in need.
- Update: Since 2011, our donations have created and distributed 561,000 new bars of soap. When we first partnered with Clean the World, we were the largest hotel company to do so. Now, we are excited to see other hotel companies also participating in recycling and sending soaps to those in need.
SUPPORTING OUR ASSOCIATES
As one of our core values states “People Are Our Capability.” Our associates are the drive and soul behind Hersha’s continued success, and as such, we strive to facilitate a diverse, inclusive environment, provide development opportunities, and focus on health and wellness to help our associates thrive.
OUR WORK ENVIRONMENT
We provide an inclusive, safe, and open work environment, and have a staunch commitment to our Code of Conduct. Additionally, we provide numerous benefits that allow our associates to lead full lives outside of Hersha. For more information on Hersha’s human rights and labor policies, benefits, and other policies, please download our Code of Conduct on our Hersha website.
DIVERSITY AT HERSHA
We believe our associates will become tomorrow’s leaders, and so we support them through providing numerous opportunities for advancement and personal growth, as well as benefits to support their health and wellness.
The Hersha Associate Recognition Program
In 2019, we started a program that formally recognizes associates who embody one of Hersha’s core values.
GET TO KNOW THE TEAM:
Operations & Event Manager at The Rittenhouse, Philadelphia, PA
Abbe is the driving force behind our daily food rescue efforts at The Rittenhouse… READ MORE >
HEALTH & WELLNESS
We promote the health and wellness of our associates and guests in order to create a great place to work, as well as design a comfortable destination to stay.
For our associates, we aim to support their physical and mental health, as well as overall wellness. Our efforts have been recognized, with our Philadelphia office being named “Best Place to Work” by the Philadelphia Business Journal for three years in a row.
For our guests, we aim to help them maintain their daily wellness routines while travelling, to help them recharge and refresh.
HYATT UNION SQUARE
Sustainability Strategy Award by the Hotel Association of NYC from 2018-2019
THE ST. GREGORY HOTEL
The St. Gregory Hotel has PURE Wellness hotel rooms.
GET TO KNOW THE TEAM:
Chief Engineer at Hyatt Union Square, New York, NY
Over the course of his 30+ year career in renovating, building, and providing input in designing hotels… READ MORE >